Scholarship / 01
Help Fill A Dream has introduced the “Rick Thomas Memorial Scholarship” in honour of Rick Thomas, a BC Transit Driver who founded Help Fill A Dream in 1986. The Rick Thomas Memorial Scholarship will assist Help Fill A Dream family members with the financial responsibility of paying for post-secondary education, and recognizes the resilience and perseverance that our families have faced due to their own or their family member’s life-threatening / critical condition.
In 2022, the first scholarship of $3,500 is being awarded in celebration of Help Fill A Dream’s 35th Anniversary and Rick’s Legacy. Funding amounts will be considered on a yearly basis going forward.
Scholarship / 02
To be eligible for the scholarship:
- The applicant or their immediate family members must have received support from Help Fill A Dream through a Dream or Financial Assistance (through the “Financial Assistance Program” or legacy “Quality of Life” program).
- Immediate family of a Dream Child includes: The Dream/Family Assistance recipient, a parent or guardian, or a sibling. Applicants who do not live with the Dream Child may be considered, but must be an immediate family member.
- Must provide proof of acceptance to an accredited post-secondary institution, including a University, College, Technical or Trades Training School/Program. Applications for programs outside of Canada will be considered.
- Must provide a reference letter from someone other than a family member (eg. Teacher, Employer, Medical Professional, Coach) who can speak about your qualities in relation to the spirit of this award).
- Must not be a previous recipient of Rick Thomas Memorial Scholarship.