Scholarship / 01
Help Fill A Dream has introduced the “Rick Thomas Memorial Scholarship” in honour of Rick Thomas, a BC Transit Driver who founded Help Fill A Dream in 1986. The Rick Thomas Memorial Scholarship will assist Help Fill A Dream family members with the financial responsibility of paying for post-secondary education, and recognizes the resilience and perseverance that our families have faced due to their own or their family member’s life-threatening / critical condition.
The first scholarship of $3,500 was awarded in 2022 to Maria D in celebration of Help Fill A Dream’s 35th anniversary and Rick’s legacy.“Over the past year, I have overcome numerous obstacles, but overall my experience has been one that I would do again. I made memories with new friends and learned new things. It was all made possible because of the help of this scholarship. This scholarship has helped me pay for the expenses of university courses so that I was able to focus on my school and health without worrying about finances.” Maria
Scholarship / 02
To be eligible for the scholarship:
- The applicant must have received support from Help Fill A Dream through a Dream or Financial Assistance (through the “Financial Assistance Program” or legacy “Quality of Life” program). If the application is for an immediate family member*, the child who received support must be identified in the application.
- Immediate family of a child includes: a parent or guardian, or a sibling. Applicants who do not live with the child may be considered, but must be an immediate family member.
- Must provide proof of acceptance to an accredited post-secondary institution, including a University, College, Technical or Trades Training School/Program. Applications for programs outside of Canada will be considered.
- Must provide a reference letter from someone other than a family member (eg. Teacher, Employer, Medical Professional, Coach) who can speak about your qualities in relation to the spirit of this award).
- Must not be a previous recipient of Rick Thomas Memorial Scholarship.