What an incredible evening we had as friends, Dream families, members of the Thomas family, volunteers, donors, supporters, and community partners gathered at the David Foster Foundation Theatre at the Oak Bay beach Hotel to watch a very special screening of the Help Fill A Dream 35th Anniversary Documentary.
It was a wonderful way to bring Help Fill A Dream’s 35th year to a close. The documentary told just a few stories from the thousands that we have collected over the years. One thing that was very clear is the positive impact that we’ve had on so many children and their families. Family was a theme that ran throughout the evening and we are so grateful so many could join us. Needless to say, many tears were shed!
We were so pleased to welcome a number of past Dream recipients who assisted with the festivities:
- Nicole (Baja and Blue Whales Dream – 2012) played piano as guests mixed and mingled. She also played a few numbers in a spotlight session at the beginning of the formal part of the evening.
- Andrei (Animal Kingdom Dream – 2018) was co-host for the evening.
- Oliver (Family Assistance – 2018-2021) wowed the crowd with a couple of songs by Queen which was the perfect segue into;
- Sage’s “Queen in London” Dream reveal.
- Guests received a small thank you gift of artisanal body care products created especially for them by Elise (Walt Disney World dream – 2020) and her mom from Fetch! Farm
There were more highlights too as we had the opportunity to present, in-person:
- Outstanding Community Partner Award to the Young Builders Network;
- Volunteer of the Year Award to Jim Pullan;
- The inaugural Rick Thomas Memorial Scholarship to Maria Dennill.
An unplanned but delightful surprise was a generous donation made by Northridge Excavating Ltd. of $10,000 to the Rick Thomas Memorial Scholarship fund. This new initiative, started this year, will continue to honour Rick Thomas’ legacy through an annual award to a Dream child or family member to support further education.